Sunday, December 16, 2007

The next phase

Pastor Dale gave an amazing sermon today full of great thoughts and challenges. One major point I picked up on was the fact that we are always looking towards the next phase to fulfill our needs.

"When I turn 16, life will be better." When I turn 18, things will be easier."

"When I graduate High School, things will be better." When I graduate college people will treat me different." When I start my new job. Get married. Buy a house. Have kids. Have more kids." The list goes on.

And the truth is we're all guilty of this. Feeling like we NEED something to fulfill us. And I know you all know where I'm going with this and that is there is only One thing that can possibly do that. But isn't that amazing that there IS something, or rather, someONE who can do that for us? What would life feel like if we never knew there was more to just 'wanting' all the time?? It's exhausting enough even with KNOWING Christ saves us from that terrible pit in our stomach.

What a great lesson it was for me today. I'm always telling the kids that they need to quit wanting things all time. Toys, more games, another dessert, or a later bedtime. And to be happy with the blessings we have. Like a home. A warm bed. FOOD. Each other. But aren't we just as guilty for wanting similar things? For missing the weight of those same blessings?

I forget now how Pastor Dale said it but basically our mouth, our life and our time and money determine where we're at....eternally. That we are here to spread God's Good News. Our mouth and life story do that. You can't argue your own story....it's YOUR story. Even if you think it's boring, are you not still saved by the same God who saved those with amazing stories of transformation? And where you spend your time and money should mirror what's coming out of your mouth/life. His final question to us was "what are you doing with your life that is making a difference?" Ummm, I'm not so sure sitting here on the computer for a few hours is really making much of a difference. Well THIS post maybe, but playing free cell....not so much. But investing in my kids and their futures.....ya. that's sort of important. Going out on dates with Josh and solidifying our marriage bond--super important. Showing up to FOS every week --mega important. Reading my bible and talking with God daily--you get the point. :)

Anyway, church today was very sobering. I loved it. I call it being 'pruned'.

P.S. Did I say this blog was going to be dedicated to funny things my kids say? Ummm, that may have just been a ploy to get you to read my posts......WHAAA HAAA HAAA. (evil laugh)

No comments: