Thursday, April 7, 2011

Five Love Languages

About ten minutes into my quiet time yesterday, I was interrupted exactly 4 times. Once by Tyler asking if I could come see something. Another time by Jessica to hand me a note and "gift" she wrapped. Another time by Ellie wanting to sit with me and snuggle. And the fourth time was by Isaac who wanted to tell me that I did a good job making my bed pretty. Add those love languages being spoken with Josh's almost obsessiveness need to fix everything around here, I'm a super blessed wife and mommy!

This seemingly simple thought made me observe the kids, their gifts, talents and love languages. Both those that they speak and those that they need.

If you're not familiar with the Five Love Languages book by Gary Chapman, it's an interesting read. His main point of that we all speak these love languages but speak one louder than the other. They way we feel loved is by "hearing" these languages. The five languages we speak are Quality Time, Words of Affirmation, Gifts, Physical Touch and Acts of Service. Some we speak louder than others and at different times of our life (or for me, time of the DAY.)

Tyler has, does and probably will always "speak" Quality Time most often, with Physical Touch in a close second. Playing a game, reading books together, paying attention to what he's doing or being entertained. He does not play well alone. He craves interaction. Which sometimes is exhausting, but works out great when there are three other siblings to hang around with. And it's both a help and a hurt to our home school experience.

Jessica is constantly writing sweet notes, sending me homemade cards and pictures and wrapping up random gifts from around the house. All. day. long. She is quite thankful and puts her whole body and soul into these gifts.

Isaac. My dear sweet Isaac. He is famous for waking up from his nap saying "mom, dinner smells so good! I'm excited to eat it!" and "you're the best cook in my whole life!" and other wonderful things like "you're the best hugger." When he says things like that it sure melts away his otherwise caveman exterior. As well as melts my heart!

And then there is my sweet, teeny tiny snuggle bug Eleanor Elaine who has discovered arm tickling. Many of you know that she and Mr. Bear are pretty inseparable. She and Mr. bear go everywhere together and DO everything together. She can not, or rather WILL not go to sleep without him. (and lately, not even then....ahhhhh 2's) I was snuggling with Ellie and Mr. Bear one day and watched her as she had him in a loving head lock, she actually uses his fur and ears to tickle her own arms!! That crazy girl!!

I will save most of the goosh for another post, but Josh is unbelievable at fixing things. Acts of Service is absolutely his love language. There isn't a thing he hasn't fixed around this house. When Josh and I first started dating I remember a conversation, or rather an argument, or maybe it was more of an emotional outburst by me, but whatever, that's not important. But I did burst, I mean discuss with him about how I wanted him to know what I needed before I even knew I needed it. (it's okay. read it again. I had to.) He has, ever since then, done *just* that! Just about every gift he's given me has been something that I didn't know that I was missing but desperately needed. He takes such good care of me and the kids.

All this to say, I'm ridiculously blessed. Lavished with love and my heart is full. What an incredible gift from God to have ALL five love languages spoken to me on a daily basis!! What joy!



1 comment:

Robe said...

*like*

-I think everything in life needs a "Like" button. When no words come to mind a simple like button does the trick :)