Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Because I Know

Because I know I'll probably let the days get ahead of me and I will forget to post about our nightly Holy Week activities, here they are:

Monday: (yesterday's lesson that we are combining with tonight's lesson since we were out of town and on the road for most of yesterday)

Passover begins. Read about Passover and watch YouTube clip that explains Passover.

Read Matthew 21:12-17
Jesus clears the temple. Use the example of your church being the temple and to picture a Farmers Market being set up instead of classes or a service.


Tuesday:

Read Matthew 21:23-24:51 Jesus teaches the parables. Last year I had the kids just color pictures while I read these verses. Then after I was done reading, I paraphrased the parables and had the kids draw pictures of their interpretation of the parable. I still have them and they are pretty cute. I just love the time at home that is purposeful but feels natural.

Wednesday:

Jesus' death if foretold. Read Isaiah 54:1-12 and Matthew 26:1-2. Discuss/define what a prophet/prophecy is.

Since this is kind of a "slow day" during Holy Week, go ahead and bake some Empty Tomb Cookies! Since my little ones still aren't totally stoked about standing in the kitchen listening to a long spiel about what ingredient represents what, I'm opting for a simpler idea and recipe but equally as effective. My mom used to make these when we were kids and they are SO yum!

Crescent Roll Ups

2 pkgs of crescent rolls
large marshmallows
melted butter
cinnamon and sugar, mixed
muffin pan

Wrap 1 marshmallow in one triangle of the crescent roll. Seal up the edges good. Roll them into the melted butter and then in the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Bake in the muffin pan at 350 for about 15-20 minutes.

The marshmallow will melt and you'll have a sugary coated hollow crescent roll!!


We will most likely dye some eggs for the big egg hunt on Sunday. We will also be going to church on Wednesday night for our normal mid week happenings.


Thursday:

Jesus celebrates Passover. This should be a pretty familiar theme this week and can be more of a review. OR it can be as extensive as you want, or ages of your kids will allow. When the kids are older I can't WAIT to do a full blown Seder Meal, but for now, we just read about what Jesus and his disciples did.

If you don't have the Jesus Storybook Bible, you should go get it, and then read The Servant King, starting on page 286.

And then is the famous Foot Washing! We draw names and wash each other's feet just as Jesus did for his disciples. We are also going to watch a short clip.

Read Matthew 26:17-30. Discuss what it means to be a servant and/or have a servants heart.

Also read Matthew 26:36-75. Tyler wanted for us all to go into the woods just behind our house and pray, but I'm too scared to do that. So we may just end up on the grass in the backyard and pray...same effect. I think :) Get out the Jesus Storybook Bible again and read A dark knight in the garden, starting on page 294.

Good Friday:

Read Matthew 27:27-66. There are SO many wonderful resources for this day. Pick one. Do it. This to me, is one of my favorite days of Holy Week. So powerful.

Good Friday service at your church
YouTube
GodTube
Jesus Storybook Bible
ESV Bible
Bible apps...

In addition to lots of reading, reflecting and discussing, we are also going to be taking Communion as a family. Josh will be joining us via Skype from Mississippi and he too will have his own communion elements and will be leading us all in prayer. Should be interesting.


Saturday:

Jesus lies in the tomb. What do you think people were saying on this day? How did they feel? What did they pray?

We are having a Family Worship Night!


Easter Sunday!!:

Sing! Rejoice!!
He is RISEN!!

"Christ the Lord has risen today, Alleluia." (I dare you to find a YouTube video of this song that is NOT cheesy and nearly unbearable! :)

We will be heading to church in the morning. Coming home and eating ham, scalloped potatoes, veggies and fruit, and some yummy dessert, and watching The Easter Parade, OF COURSE! :)

I have eggs ready for hunting as well as the Resurrection Eggs to add to the mix.

I also like to add to this day is to explain why we get new clothes. I guess it's a way to "bridge the gap" from the secular Easter with all the chocolate bunnies and baskets filled with eggs...and more candy. I want my kids to know that the new clothes represent that we are a new creation in Christ. I think that if I just keep saying these things over and over and over and over and.....it will become a tradition and they will learn to love it and WANT to pass it on to their families.

Be encouraged, friends. Have a WONDERFUL week. I am praying for you and your families!!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Fantastic Dena!! What an awesome example you are, and I know you and the kids will have a blast worshipping and bringing glory to our Savior!!