Monday, March 31, 2008

Day One: Serving

So Jessica was helping me pack snack bags for our trip down to my mom's today, and I was trying to use some really "exciting" words that Jess would know about serving. And we were doing good. She was packing Tyler's baggie first, then her's. Then Tyler wrote their names on the bags and wrote love, hearts, and smilies on Jessica's. FINALLY PEACE AND UNITY IN OUR HOME.

I asked Jessica..."Doesn't that feel SO good to help and serve your brother? To always be thinking about his needs before yours? Don't you just have the BEST feeling in your HEART??"

Her reply: (with VERY deep thought, soul serching eyes) No. I don't feel anything.

Well....peace in the home for the moment. And it's ONLY day one....

But we did decide on a verse to learn as a family--Josh and I included.

2 Timothy 2:23,24.

I have been challenged in my thinking that we only need to serve one another during meal times and times of trial. But with my "new" thinking, it's been highlighting all of the places I was wrong. We need to have a servants heart ALL the time. That way, it will come so natural to us when it comes to meals and trials.

Josh and I had the idea to do a foot washing to kick off this shift in our thinking, our attitudes, and our actions.

But since this next week is Spring Break and we'll be in Sisters, OR all week...we'll attempt this when we get home.

Keep those good ideas coming.....

4 comments:

His Amazing Grace said...

OOHHHH!!! Good verse!! That a way Jess...oh I love her so! Probably because she tells it like it is..just like me. HEHEHE!

Jodi said...

What a perfect verse for what you're trying to teach. I will definitely look forward to hearing more about what you guys are doing, as it will be good encouragement for me as well.

Trying to teach little kids to love others more than themselves is such a challenge, but with persistence, consistency and good examples from mom and dad, I know it can be done.

In the meantime, I'll bet I can say this in my sleep: "Jack, you need to love Sis more than you love that toy..."

kris {life at the table} said...

jess cracks me up. so cute.

Jake Gamble said...

Dude, are you ever gonna post another blog or have you given up on that dream?