Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Hurry up and wait

Today was a "hurry up to wait" sort of day.  It's been a "hurry up and wait" sort of month!

In this time of waiting I made a few phone calls. My heart has been heavy today feeling the weight of the worlds' burdens and carrying the load for my friends, family and friends' families spread all over this big wide world.  Some pretty deep thoughts have crossed my mind that I couldn't give full attention to. But this "hurry up and wait" scenario seems to capture the essence of all these problems.  Hurry up and wait to see what happens.  Hurry up and don't fix it.  Wait, now. Now, wait.  Hurry up and sit back. Get here quick but wait to see what unravels.  Be here at this time today and wait till the end of the week to find out.  Let's get these tests done quickly so we can find out results next week. Hurry up and pack your bags but let's wait to see if you're going.  This perpetual feeling of leap and fall, leap and fall, leap and fall...it's exhausting! 

We talk a lot about prepping around here.  Prepping for the future. Prepping for a polar ice cap melt, financial collapse, EMP, solar flare, riots, massive power outage, political failure, end times...you name it...we've talked about how we want to be and are prepared for it. But ultimately, we live in God's will.  Not our wishes.  And thank goodness we don't have to wish and pray and prep for all events all over the world, because I'd suck at it.  I'd eventually call it quits and take a nap. 

But a peace washes over me when I think about all these problems and burdens we carry and I KNOW we have a sovereign Lord in control and our Creator who is above time has the Ultimate Authority over us and this Earth.  His will be done! (Matthew 6:10)

So in one of my appointments today, while I was waiting, I read this pamphlet:

Journeys in Prayer  September 2012   Volume 10, Number 1

Come Soon, Lord Jesus by Lydia Harris

"In the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness  which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing" (2 Timonty 4:8 NASB)

"Yes, I am coming soon" (Revelation 22 NIV)

Years ago, when I learned that my 34 year old sister had developed breast cancer, it felt like someone had hit me over the heard with a sledgehammer   A friend stopped by to visit and I told him the shocking news, and added "I wish Christ would return now!"

"You're' not supposed to want Jesus to return to get out of your misery," my friend said "you should welcome his return because you love His appearing." 

His answer startled me, and I gave serious thought to why I wanted Christ to return. Was it because I loved his appearing as it says in 2 Timothy 4:8? Not completely.  

Another time a mature Christian said she daily prayed, "come soon, Lord, Jesus."  She seemed genuine in her desire to be with Jesus. I had young children then, so I was focused on raising a family, not on Christ's return.  Her words jogged me to realize Jesus could return any day. 

Lately, because of numerous crises around the world, I hear Christian say, "Come soon, Lord Jesus," in face, I'm saying it too. But do I say it with the right motives? Do I only want to escape the trouble of life? Or do I long to see Jesus face to face?.... 

......"these are exciting times with many opportunities to strengthen our trust in God and to tell others about Christs's love and salvation."

We know Jesus is the only answer and that He will return.  Revelation 22:17 says "The Spirit and the bride say, "come!" and let him who hears say "come!" Who ever is thirsty  let him come and whoever wishes let him take the free gift of the water of life. "

Although we live during uncertain times, we have a secure, rock-solid God.  So we say "come soon, Lord Jesus."

Lord Jesus, you have everything under control.  And we know you will return for your bride in your perfect time.  Help us to wait with eager anticipation because we long to see you face to face and be with you forever. Amen.  Come, Lord Jesus."



While my heavy heart isn't exactly for the same reasons as this woman, the heart of the issue is the same.  How many times have I just broken down and said those very words "oh Lord, wouldn't it be easier to just return?" 

My mom reminded me this past weekend and said "we aren't called to live an EASIER life!" 

This life here on Earth is just that.  Life; here on Earth.  This is not heaven. Thank goodness!! Thank goodness this isn't heaven because I'm pretty sure the Bible paints a much different picture of heaven than what we are living here on Earth! :) 

All the crazy, hurt and the crazy hurt in the world can't get this girl down! I choose to call upon His name and PRAISE Him for all of these opportunities we can use in our lives to BLESS one another, our marriage, our kids, our families, our friends and our friends' families! 

Dear loved ones...my heart breaks for you.  Know that I am with you and praying over your troubles. I am confident that the Lord hears our cries.  Curl up at His feet.  Lay your burdens at the cross.  And do whatever it is you need to do to feel that peace wash over you, to cling to Him, and beg to see His face... 




No comments: