The past few days have been hectic but we tried our best to stay on our new schedule.
Thursday's schedule was totally off, since we had Mandi and Angela here, and I was happily distracted with other things. So Tyler's free time was extended by about ten minutes, "homework hour" turned into "homework stand up, sit down, sharpen, argue, get help, giggle two hours." (more on why the girls were here later;)
Friday was hopeful. Because it was Friday and us girls were busy tearing up the house, free time was extended by quite a bit, and Tyler was then asked to distract, I mean play with Jessica and Isaac. (plus I'm not really sure what a Friday schedule should look like yet) Dinner was in front of a movie in the playroom so we, and by we I mean Mandi and Angela, could get some work done! ;)
With the way Friday ended I was fearful of how Saturday was going to be for Tyler. Boy was I surprised!! All of us were woken up with the wonderful smells of sausage, pancakes, toast with jam, eggs, yogurt and canned fruit cocktail for the kids. He helped carry the girls' bags to their car. Asked if he could go play with the neighbor boys. Came back a full 30 minutes before the agreed time to see about getting a 30 minute extension. Came home on time and was a thankful and charming son the rest of the evening. He even played a board game with Kristen and me before going to bed. (more on why Kristen was here later)
I'm talking night. and. day.
Could it be that it just "clicked" for him??
I can already see where this new schedule has been great for Tyler! He is really one of those kinds of kids that needs to reward beforehand, it's just very difficult to hand that over when you haven't been proven that he's capable. But the routine of play, work, play, work, does wonders for his attitude around the house. And it's amazing how much it trickles down from him. Jessica is more agreeable and sweetly spoken and Isaac is a silly, playful lover boy.
One aspect of this whole re-do that I didn't expect was how natural it felt to follow. (So why didn't I think to write it out before??!) And for some reason it helped me plan out a new schedule for Jessica and Isaac, too. Knowing that Isaac needs to be napping at least 30 minutes before Tyler gets home--which is enough time to fall asleep, and if he were to wake up prematurely, 30 minutes is enough time for Isaac to feel rested and not wake up cranky. (obviously we've learned this one from experience.) 30 minutes before the bus drops Tyler off is around 3 pm. Which means lunch can't be any later than 2 pm, which means morning snack has to be around 11 am, to be spread far enough from breakfast which has been happening around 9 am. See how the whole house now got on a natural schedule!? I love it!!
NOW, I am fully aware that at any moment we will be right back where we started from, but I at least have a much better idea of what they are all capable of!
*******
We have been talking with the kids a lot lately about responding to the nudge of the Holy Spirit and what that looks like. Also about the warmth you feel when you are a servant. Jessica calls it a "hug from Jesus." (I mean come ON! That is just pure cuteness)
I am so excited that they all have an outlet to practice these new talents...who knew it would be in the form of a daily schedule chart!
2 comments:
sounds great! i hope it keeps. i know having a daily routine works wonders with my personality.
Oh I love schedules with kids. Glad to hear it's working so well for you guys. What sweet little kiddos.
We deviate from our schedule often, but it's so nice to know it's always there to fall back on.
LOVED having you guys over the other night. It was the best surprise of our weekend. Love you. :)
Post a Comment