Friday, September 18, 2009

Whittle much?

My deepest apologies for not being a very faithful blogger. It seems as though I have just enough time to keep up with everyone's blogs, and never enough time to sit and write my own.

(I have quite a few pictures to share, too, but most of you have seen them on Facebook. If you haven't, check there! :)

The Dunn family had an incredible summer! Our road trip changed us. Changed our core. We learned about each other. I learned about my kids. But mostly because I wanted to. I studied them hard and intentionally. I know they are going to change, each of them, drastically in the next few years, so it was and is very important that I know them and know them well. If only I had learned to be such a student when I was a student...hmmm.

As a mommy of four young kiddos, I realize that I hold one super important job. Delayed gratification at it's best! I don't have a very good Earthly resume, but I would make one dang great employee!! Except for the fact that I wouldn't want to be there, and would spend most of my time thinking about playing with my kids, meal planning and calculating how many loads of laundry were at home waiting for me! Oh well, I'm getting of track...

So after we got home, we realized that a family of six had survived on very little, and did quite well, actually. Got back to the basics. My lap became a kitchen counter, an office desk, a changing table and a few times a pillow. We traveled just under 7000 miles this summer!! Ellie, only 3.5 months old, has already been to 7 states!

Looking around we saw stuff. STUFF STUFF EVERYWHERE! Most of it needed. More of it not.

And now that time of year is upon us again--the season of giving. And Isaac, Jessica and Tyler all of birthdays the three months before Christmas and mine follows in January! That's five months of opportunities to get more stuff!!! Or how about not?

I compiled a list of "gifts" that I thought could be given in place of the typical toy or game. Things that ultimately get ruined or misplaced. I call them "Experience Gifts." Feel free to steal, add or check off as many as you want!!

(in no particular order--just wrote them down as they came to me, or as I thought about the gift giver and what their interests are and what was near them.)

zoo
museum
park
mails
overnighter
golfing
fishing
camping
bowling
shoe shopping
beach
photo shoot
ice cream "date" or any "date"
cooking class
bike ride
boat
raft/kayak day trip
swimming
nature walk
football game
baseball game
pumpkin patch
berry pick
Broadway (local or high school) Play
mission trip
movies
Leggo day/weekend
Barbie day/weekend
craft day
Nutcracker trip
farmers market
horseback ride
mall walk/window shop
arcade/Chuck E. Cheese
Build a Bear
board game night
lazer tag
theme park-any
library day
haircuts
hike
popcorn/movie extravaganza
Ikea date
grocery shop/meal plan
video game "all nighter"
trail ride
train ride for a day
driving tour
whale watch
geocashe
"you and a friend" activity
trash pick up day
picnic
construction project
day on the farm
aquarium
bird watching
fair/carnival
music lessons
dance classes
magazines


Don't get me wrong, we are thankful for all the gifts we've been given! Sometimes it's just great fun to get something new. I just wanted to add to the fun of gift giving and even let you in on the things my kids would really enjoy--TIME SPENT WITH THEM.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. There will be more!!

2 comments:

Angel said...

Love the gift ideas!!! I think we will try and give experience gifts this year instead of material gifts!! I love it when you blog Dena. You comments about working at a job and being a great employee, but would be thinking about playing w/ your kids and the piles of laundry made me laugh. We have so much in common. Miss you friend! Glad your family had such a wonderful road trip! Ross and I love taking road trips. It is great education for kids. They can learn so much from them.

wil.hansen said...

sounds great!