I've never really given much thought about nicknames until this morning when I realized my little pet names for the kids are really ridiculous and have nothing to do with their actual names. But isn't that what nicknames are supposed to be??For the most part the names we have for the kids are some sort of version of their names. We call for Tyler by his first and middle name quite often, as if it were one name: TylerCale!! Jessica answers to Jess and Sissy more often then to Jessica Belle. Bopa calls her Sessica, my sister in law, Karly calls her Jessie, and we sometimes refer to her as Sassy. While Sissy comes mostly from her being a sister, it really came from my mom's nickname "Sissy Mariah James Squeedunk." (not kidding) I guess my grandpa used to come home and call for mom that way. Which is why I sometimes call Jessica, Sissy Mariah. She answers to that.
Anyone who's had to name a child knows just how tough it really is. Certain names sound great when they are babies and little kids but it's hard to imagine them as an adult with a drivers licence and business cards! I tried to name the kids names that had a few different nicknames to go with them through all stages of life. Eleanor has the most: Ellie, Elle, Nellie, Nora, and Ellen. Isaac is pretty much just Isaac, but could always go by his middle name Lawrence or Larry more easily than Tyler can go by Cale.
Aside from these names I also call them silly names like Sweetie Pie, Snuggle Bear, Punkin Bear, Squishy and Baby "guirl."
Growing up my dad had all kinds of nicknames for me. As I was laying in bed this morning listing all of these lame nicknames I was starting to realize why I hate all of them!! Kelly, as in Kelly Bundy from the show Married With Children, when I had a dumb blonde moment. Dumbo because of my ears that stick out. There is a whole slew of names that will be reduced to "stink" because I'm too embarrassed to write them down. My step mom is the only person in the world that calls me Nicole, my middle name. I guess that could be because most people think my middle name is Marie. My favorite teacher in High School called me Dena Marie once and asked "wow, that flows to nice. Is that your middle name?" I answered "Yes...yes it is." All through High School people thought that was my middle name!! It's even on all my graduation stuff!! I love it. I do not love Nicole. There is a hint of like towards that name because my gorgeous cousin Brandi has the same middle name.
Other nicknames I answer to are much more near and dear to my heart. Dena Shaleena is what my Brownie Troop leader and BFF's mom called me. Actually still does. Probably always will.
Dummy Dena might sound hurtful, but how we came about that name is a heartwarming memory for me. (Other names from this memory are Magical Matt, Big Brandi, Rad Robbie, Radical Ryan, Lovely Loni and Joyful Josh. *what was David's name??*)
Denasaur is fairly new but heartwarming none the less because to me it means that I am a pseudo mom. (Pseudomom sounds like a pretty cool nickname, too...hmmm)
I'm not sure if they count as nicknames but other names I answer to are "wife" and "mommy." Clearly these are the best names I can think of that one could be referred to as. Names I've wanted to be called my whole life.

What do you answer to?
2 comments:
hey, i never had a nickname from all you kids either....lame.
michelen man, special k, k, kristy*, kristoff**, and kris***
*i refuse to acknowledge or answer to this.
**recent addition to the list this summer.
***this has stuck, and will stay. i don't think i really had any nicknames till kris came around...at least, i wasn't called by those first few regulary.
you forgot B'gosh!
Post a Comment