Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

Would you believe not ONE picture was taken over the fun long weekend? What kind of parents are we?!

Thursday, Margot and the girls came over for a sleepover and playing in the backyard. It was great fun to have a friend around to talk to. We even made a "quick" trip to WalMart for some yummy dinner and snacks. The girls always have so much fun playing together, as well, and the weather was so warm and nice they got to play in the water and run around.

Friday Josh was off and wanted to get some work done on the boys' room--which is exactly what he did!! Getting it almost all taped and mudded, just waiting for those few coats to dry before he sands. We also got some work done around the yard--making it more kid safe. You know, moving barrels of oil and sharp tools--the usual "yard stuff." (wait, what?! that's not normal?)

Saturday Josh got another coat of mud on the walls and I sprung it on him that we'd be heading to Pt. Defiance Park for the day. No use sitting around the house waiting for mud to dry!! Knowing the kids weren't going to last a whole long weekend with a mommy who can't sit around and wait for a baby, either! So we packed up and we drove up to Tacoma for the day. First visiting Fort Nisqually.

The fort was very cool. Volunteers dressed in period clothing, working in the general store, and ladies on the porch of the house spinning their own wool, while the young ladies were knitting shawls and blankets. There was a big working vegetable garden and another area for the kids to play and experience the "olden days" toys. The boys (Josh included) loved the towers on either corner of the fort the best. Mainly because they were where all the weapons were stored and the thought of being up there and blowing something up with a cannon...I don't know. The grounds of the fort are very well kept up and it was a great day with the kids. It's neat to me to have them be so excited about history and think about life back then.

Jessica asked the ladies knitting how they got the different colors of wool. They giggled and reminded her that there are plants/flowers they can use for dye--and that there aren't different colored sheep! Tyler was pretty curious about how all the kids slept in one room and realized how simple all the things in the house were. Isaac--just loved having a bunch of grass to run around on.

After Fort Nisqually, we headed down to Owen Beach to play in the water. The "beach" was rocky and not much for waves or water. But really, the kids didn't care at all. They had a blast digging in the sand and rocks and being loud with all the other kids. Being so busy (weekend/weather) it was somewhat stressful for Josh and I just keeping an eye on the kids. Happy to leave--we headed back up to the car to change clothes. We were going to attempt the Pt. Defiance Zoo, but just didn't think I would have the energy to walk around there, too, so we headed home for the day.

Sunday was another lazy day around the house. A bit more work on the room and more yard work. Josh got the tents out to air out before they are used again, and there just isn't anything more fun then tents in the backyard, right?! A freshly mowed lawn=a happy daddy.

Monday we packed up again for the day and headed south to Millersylvania State Park. According to The Olympian, it provides the best swimming hole for kids. I would agree. Nice shallow buoy marked waters with plenty of sand for digging and lots of kiddos to run around with. It was gorgeous out! And Millersylvania park is just so pretty. Very wooded and well groomed. I'd love to camp down there on a much less busy weekend.

Monday was my due date. And as you can tell, that day came and went and still nothing. I've never delivered early so I'm not sure why I'm surprised I'm still pregnant. I do remind myself, daily, of what Tyler's doctor told me 9 1/2 years ago: "In all my years of practicing medicine, there's never been anyone who was pregnant forever, so I think you'll be okay!"

With the boys' room still needing some work, I'm hoping the next post will be all about the finished product, and that it comes before a post about our little girls arrival!!

Hope you all had wonderful long weekends. Thanks to everyone who sent the kind words to Josh about serving our country. What an honor.

3 comments:

Heather Lyn said...

This blog really made me smile! I love the comforting words of Tyler's doctor. Haha. Keep me posted. Can't wait to come help out with little Ellie. Love you, amazing woman!

kris {life at the table} said...

what a fun family you are...even with a baby due at any minute, you are always providing the kids with great experiences and family memories!

love you sis.

Julie said...

Ah - Owen Beach is a favorite hang out for us. It's a short drive and pretty calm. We can let the little one run around without too much worry!