Friday, April 3, 2009

Blogging Trap

I wish there was something really worthy of blogging about, but it seems like lately it's just been our normal life passing us by and not really much to report. But then it hit me that I fall into that trap of thinking I need to have some perfect story or amazingly well behaved children to brag about. The truth is--our kids can be out of control and downright frustrating and the flu hits us just like it hits other homes, dishwashers break and grown-ups have tiffs.

All three kids got the flu and gave it to Josh and I--Josh the night as he was leaving for a week work trip to Texas, and that was the night it hit me too. Which means, TROUBLE! Thanks to the most amazing friends, Sara and Heather, and my mom, we made it through. Sara came in the middle of the night so she could help first thing in the morning. Heather came for the night shift, fed and put the kids to bed for me. Mom then came up the next day to help out with the kids and attack the mounds of laundry.

Mom also took Jessica home with her for a week and a half!! What a treat that was. For Jessica, I mean. Because we all missed her terribly, but it's so fun to know that she was tightening an already unbreakable bond with MorMor and BoPa--and having WAY too much fun in the process. They had tea parties, did some shopping, cooking, went to the library and to the museum. When Jessica got home, I asked her what her favorite thing she did with BoPa was, and she said "watching TV with him." I guess it doesn't take much for her to be entertained by BoPa! :)


After Josh got home from Texas, I headed out to Youth Staff Retreat in Packwood, WA. What a wonderful time that was to get away, spend time with some of the coolest people I know, and come away with a refreshing, renewal and new found joy in the Lord. Deep talks with the ladies till 4:30 in the morning and an incredible time of musical worship and prayer....just GREAT!!

So now, we're at the tail end of Tyler's Spring Break and enjoying the downtime with the family. We've been revamping our routine with the kids and trying to be A LOT more intentional with our one on one time with each of them. Prepping them for a baby coming soon, and also getting into a new routine, hoping for some new results in their behavior.

I will say this about the kids' "love languages." It really really REALLY makes a difference in their behavior and their attitudes towards us and each other. Tyler's love language is Quality Time with Physical Touch coming in a very close second. The other night Tyler and I sat and read a Which Way USA magazine, while snuggling on the couch. (something we RARELY get the quiet time to do) and that boy just about bounced upstairs for bedtime without a fuss or any stalling what-so-ever. Amazing how when the "love cup" is full...

Jessica and Isaac aren't as obvious in their love languages, because it seems like they are both Quality Time, but as they get older, I'm sure it will become a bit easier to narrow it down. For now, we're going with Quality Time. :)

How do you manage three kids with all of the same love languages?!! I would say, I often don't. That is the trickiest part of my mommy job: Finding the right time to spend the MOST time with each of them.
I have learned that right after school is not the right time to spend time with Tyler. He needs his downtime. Right before bed is not the right time to spend with Isaac. He's too tired and just wants to sleep. Spending time with Jessica during her "quiet play time" isn't good for her, because I guess I try to manage her creative play a bit too much, so we end up bothering each other. (all lessons I have learned the hard way!)

Tyler loves to spend time just before bed. But so does Jessica. But since Tyler is allowed to stay up 30 minutes later than Jessica, it seems to work out okay. Isaac would MUCH rather hang out first thing in the morning (generally with Daddy--not me) or just after his nap (with me.) Sounds easy enough, right?? Why does it not feel that easy?? :)


Jessica and I have a new found love in the McCleary Library and read about 4-5 books every night. Tyler likes to share what he has been reading or drawing and just talking. Or is that stalling....hmmm.

I wish I could say that all of this time with the kids comes really easily to me, but boy is it work--daily to remember my "real" job here. Sure healthy meals, clean clothes and a well rounded volunteer mommy is great, but if that means my kids and family are falling apart because of that, then I'm not doing so great. Period.

Most of this seems like rambling now--probably because it is, but I hope SOMEONE can take some inspiration from my words/thoughts.


Being a mommy is a TOUGH job that requires plenty of thought, creativity, and patience.
None of these qualities seem to happen all in the same day though..............whew!

6 comments:

Brian said...

Thanks for sharing the challenges we have yet to face.

What are your and Josh's love languages?

Dena said...

Josh is Acts of Service!! Hands down!

I am Quality Time/Physical Touch.

Dena said...

Josh is Acts of Service!! Hands down!

I am Quality Time/Physical Touch.

kris {life at the table} said...

gracie and ava are quality time/touch too!!! but they want it 24 hours a day... :)

Angel said...

You are such an amazing mommy! Really, you inspire me!
I have to work so hard at leaving the laundry/dishes etc and spend time with Ezra doing something he loves. It is so worth it though. Unfortunatly, I don't choose the super mommy route every time, but I am trying. I know he won't be this adorable little boy forever.

capturingtheride said...

I appreciated your post - your truth, honesty, and the mounds of LOVE you so obviously have for each of your children.

BTW - how did I miss that you're expecting yet another little bundle of joy? When's the due date? CONGRATS!

I am WAY EXCITED to come spend a day with you this summer - can hardly wait. I will surely bring the camera :)