Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Bachelor


As much as I *hate* to bring this subject up, I have to make a few comments on The Bachelor, Jason Mesnick, being a "single parent" and he and his "woman of the moment" Molly and their interview on the Bonnie Hunt Show.


EVERY single season I always say I'm never going to watch this show. And for some reason or another (another friend watching, or you get sucked in after watching the first few shows, or you would SWEAR you went to elementary school with one of the girls--a thought I had this time).


As I watched show after show, I was thankful for TiVo so I could cut through most of the crap. Which left about 5 minutes of actual meat of the show. But isn't is sad how much like "meat" these women subject themselves to? Everyone of them has convinced themselves that they are so in love, and perfect for The Bachelor who claims to have the "toughest decision of his life."


So we all know (and if you don't pat yourself on the back) how this season has turned out, so I had to applaud Bonnie Hunt's interview with Jason and Molly and of all the real, tough questions she asked them. Did anyone else see this?


She really laid into them about the show itself, how things have been handled, how much making out happens with so many different girls, how it sometimes feels scripted, how real feelings get hurt, why Jason broke it off with Melissa on air, how Melissa has been on other shows and is reportedly dating now, how many letters the show received about Jason saying he's a "single parent" even though he has shared custody with his ex-wife, and how her heart goes out to Molly for being so trusting when Jason has a history with a few other women now!!


It was the best interview I have seen with them since the end of the show! Find a clip...you'll agree.


Bonnie's final thoughts and closing line of the show was in talking about poor Melissa and giving hope to other rejected girls and she said


"Sometimes rejection is God's protection!"


If only more girls could think that way, instead of being filmed in a limo, driving away completely devastated for their lives after knowing a man for a few days.


Or to the young girl who tried so hard to get "that" guy and gave up her whole heart and often times her body, either in person or via sexting, and the pain, loneliness, guilt and shame she feels now, instead of just not dating....anyone at all.


Is this really the direction kids are headed?? Do most girls think going on a reality tv show is how to find a man??


Well done Bonnie Hunt for asking the real questions we wanted to ask, and needed to hear the answers to!

2 comments:

Angel said...

I am not familiar w/ the Bachelor story (although I have been getting bits and pieces from news stuff), but I love Bonnie's quote, "Sometimes rejection is God's protection!" I'm going to remember that one!

Jodi said...

Amen! Way to go Bonnie. I love that quote.