Thursday, July 24, 2008

Auntie Camp

Karly and I decided to change it up a bit and get some serious cousin play time in, we decided it would be fun to trade kids. Tyler for Ella.

TUESDAY:
We met Robbie up at the Krispie Kreme in Tacoma on Tuesday and made the drop...like a hostage situation; You hand over the kid and duffel and we'll hand over ours. The whole switch happened as quick as it took to move car seats. And in a smaller vehicle--that's not really quick. The doors have to be synchronized when you close them...it's such a tight fit. The doors fling open like they are spring loaded when you try to get out.

So Tuesday was pretty relaxed. We drove over to a co-worker of Josh's and picked up our new DOG :) Yes...you heard me right....and it was JOSH'S idea. I know....catch your breath. It's for real. His name is Shadow and he is the sweetest 6 year old chow black lab mix you'll ever meet. We've only had him three days and he's already adjusted and it feels like we've had him here forever. Isaac LOVES him. And as I type this--Tyler has no idea that when he comes home today, who will be here to greet him. I can't wait.

Tuesday night we had dinner and then headed off to church. The girls had a blast in their classroom, and by the time we got home it was time for bed.



They decided to both sleep on the floor to make it fair. The only problem was is that I only have one girl sleeping bag, so they had to decide who got to sleep in that the first night. Trying to explain to your three year old competitive daughter to share with her guest is more difficult that it seems and way more difficult than it needs to be. But since we had an equal number of nights Ella would be sleeping over...it all worked out fine. Whew.


WEDNESDAY:
Every Tuesday and Wednesday morning at 9:30 the movie theater in Olympia plays older kid movies for only a BUCK. So, obviously we go. For a few few reasons. One: everyone in there also, only paid a dollar. So the people around you aren't upset about the many distractions that come with bringing little ones to a movie they are expected to sit thru---quietly...which brings me to point number Two: everyone in there had kids. Young kids at that. So there are plenty of distractions. But it's so fun. It's usually a movie you've all seen a hundred times and it's a great time to train your little ones how to sit still and whisper during a movie. We have been going all summer long (with the exception of the time we forgot to go) with my dear friend Margot and her two girls Mia and Anika.

This week was Flushed Away. A movie that I've listened to quite a few times, but never have sat down and watched it. It's pretty funny. And I'm told it's one of Ella's favorite movies.

After the movie we hit Jamba Juice and Starbucks and headed down the mall to the "play place." Our mall's play place is NOTHING like the Lunchbox in Bellingham or the train in Bellevue, but it does the trick when it's pouring rain outside or you need a zero distraction cell phone point. So the girls played......well....for the most part. But any time you have an odd number...it's just....well....odd. Considering we were asking a bossy Jessica to choose who to sit by and play two person games with between her cousin Ella and best friend Mia--they did quite well. (Sorry Mia--blood is thicker that water. :)

After the play place, Margot and I became insane for a moment and decided to take three 3 year olds, an infant and two hungry and sleep deprived mommies to a Thai restaurant we both wanted to try. I know what you're thinking, but I will tell you that all the girls did AMAZINGLY well. They sat down. Colored. Shared (sorda) drank their water. Ate their rice and chicken and noodles. Jessica even tried the kale leaves that came with her meal. She didn't eat them, but she bravely put them in her mouth. I was impressed with all the girls. Us mommies tried the Red Curry Chicken with Coconut Milk and Jasmine Rice. YUMM-O.

After lunch we headed home for nap time. The girls BOTH napped from about 2-5. It was amazing. They woke up with just enough time to eat breakfast for dinner and then we were off to church....again. (Tue--McCleary campus. Wed--Oly campus) The girls did SO well. I said to myself...it sure is nice to have two girls who know the drill with checking into their classrooms and how to play so nice with the other kids as well as obey their teachers. It was great. After the service we always hang around for a while and the girls did just that. They were running around ALL over the church. It was fun to watch. They got drenched in the drinking fountain and were EXHAUSTED when we got home. In the car ride home, I heard them playing "I spy with my little eye." Very cute. Being so dark, they had a hard time finding things that weren't black or white.
Bedtime wasn't an issue at all. They traded sleeping bags. And they were OUT.

THURSDAY:
This morning they have just been lounging around, playing dress ups (of course) and barbies. Brushing each others hair and watching Cinderella and Barbie Nutcracker. They had cereal with Uncle this morning and have been complete angels.

We're waiting for uncle to come home so we can eat lunch and then we will pack up and meet Robbie again at Krispie Kreme at 2. Then we have to pack up our camping gear and we're off to Florence, OR till Monday. We'll be at Honeyman State Park with mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, pop, us and our dear friends Aaron and April Benner. I can't WAIT. What a blast it's been being able to spend some quality time with my sweet niece "Ella Bella." I hope we get to do this every summer. I have the most amazing memories with my cousins and I am excited that my kids get to make some of the same great memories.

2 comments:

Jacob said...

What fun girl time! Those two are so sweet together!

ps- Have a BLAST in Florence!

melinda marie said...

Oh my goodness ~ those are the cutest pictures and a great blog! I can see Robbie in Ella and you in Jessica! What fun!
Love,
Melinda